Caltex re-opens after gas leak forces evacuation

12th May 2017 9:01 AM
Queensland Fire and Emergency Services attend to a suspected gas leak at Chinchilla Caltex on Saturday morning. July 2, 2016. Queensland Fire and Emergency Services were called to attend a gas leak at the Chinchilla Caltex Starmart Service Station this morning. Matthew Newton

THE entire complex surrounding the Chinchilla Starmart Service station - known as the Village Travel Centre - was evacuated briefly this morning after a gas leak.

Chinchilla Fire Station Lieutenant Dale Wheeler said firefighters were called to the service station at around 7.50am after reports of an LPG leak from a gas bowser at the service station.

He said staff at the service station found a leaking valve under the bowser itself and isolated it as per their procedures.

Firefighters then did a gas test to make sure the gas had dissipated before the service station re-opened with the isolation in place.

Firefighters, QAS and QPS left the scene at 8.30am.