ASH AND SMOKE: This second fire at McNulty Street in Miles proved devastating. Pic: Peta McEachern
ASH AND SMOKE: This second fire at McNulty Street in Miles proved devastating. Pic: Peta McEachern

Firefighters called to house fire for second time

QUEENSLAND Fire and Emergency Service crews were called back to 18 McNulty Street a day after the house burnt to the ground as the fire reignited at 12.53am Tuesday, December 17.

The inferno that gutted the Miles home sparked up again creating small ignition fires taking fire crews 30 minutes to extinguish.

Two fire crews first responded to a fire at the residence at 8am on Sunday, December 15, but were unable to save the home as it was completely engulfed in flames.

BARE BONES: The backyard shows the true devastation of the fire that gutted the home. Pic: Peta McEachern
BARE BONES: The backyard shows the true devastation of the fire that gutted the home. Pic: Peta McEachern

A Queensland Fire and Emergency Services spokeswoman said two fire crews attended the structural fire on Sunday, but the home was completely destroyed.

“There was a lot of smoke and flames as the house was fully involved in fire… the fire crews had the fire out at 9am,” she said.

BURNT: Tiffany, Dale Jr, Jamarl, and Cheyenne Lamb were home next door at the time of the blaze. Pic: Peta McEachern
BURNT: Tiffany, Dale Jr, Jamarl, and Cheyenne Lamb were home next door at the time of the blaze. Pic: Peta McEachern
SMOKING HOT: The heat from the fire smashed Cheyenne Lamb’s bedroom window. Pic: Peta McEachern
SMOKING HOT: The heat from the fire smashed Cheyenne Lamb’s bedroom window. Pic: Peta McEachern

Protecting his home with nothing but a garden hose when the blaze first went up, Dale Lamb watched his neighbour’s home collapse under the inferno.

Father of four Dale Lamb was home with his children at the time the blaze ignited at the neighbouring property.

He said the house went up with no warning leaving him to fear for his own house.

“In minutes the whole roof was engulfed, it was just one big flame, there was no warning no noise,” Mr Lamb said.

“With the weather being so dry and humid, at first I thought this house was going to go up easy - it doesn’t take much.”

NOTHING LEFT: The side of the house crumbles away as fire ate away at the structural integrity. Pic: Peta McEachern
NOTHING LEFT: The side of the house crumbles away as fire ate away at the structural integrity. Pic: Peta McEachern
PILE OF ASHES: Nothing is left inside the house at McNulty Street as fire ravaged the interior. Pic: Peta McEachern
PILE OF ASHES: Nothing is left inside the house at McNulty Street as fire ravaged the interior. Pic: Peta McEachern

Mr lamb tried to hose down his house to keep it from catching alight, but the heat was unbearable.

“The heat of the fire popped out all our windows smashing them, I was standing out with the hose trying to stop this from going up, but it was way too hot… all 40 louvers are gone bar one, the aircon is melted, and the fence buckled,” he said.

SHATTERED: The fire blazed hot enough to shatter all the louvers down the side of Mr lamb’s house. Pic: Peta McEachern
SHATTERED: The fire blazed hot enough to shatter all the louvers down the side of Mr lamb’s house. Pic: Peta McEachern

This is the second time in months the same house has caught fire, Mr lamb said the residents moved out after the first fire.

“It wasn’t a little flame that built up like the first fire, this time it just went ‘woof’ - it was freaky,” he said.

“After that fire there was a big hole in the roof in the back patio… they just put a tarp up to cover it, and then moved out.

“Under the tarp was the solar panels, so I assume the solar panel just got hot and hit the tarp and started the fire.”

A Queensland Police Service spokeswoman said the cause of the fire was non-suspicious.

“There were no injuries, and the neighbouring property had no structural damage,” she said.