Chinchilla Honeybear Kirsty Weedon in action during their match against the Laidley Wildcats on Sunday.
Chinchilla Honeybear Kirsty Weedon in action during their match against the Laidley Wildcats on Sunday. Contributed

Honeybear finals hopes run higher after win

FOOTBALL: The Chinchilla Honeybears came into their match against the Laidley Wildcats on the back of their first defeat in seven games, after losing 2-1 to league leaders the week before.

Laidley started the brightest and made it hard for the Honeybears to get their passing game going.

Laidley, however, failed to create any real clear-cut chances. The Honeybears, on the other hand, weathered the early pressure and started to work their way into the game.

The first real chance was created by Elouise Stanford after a neat pass was played for her to run at the Laidley defence, firing her shot just past the post.

The next to threaten for the Honeybears was Kimberly Preim, who turned sharply on the edge of the box but fired over the crossbar.

The Honeybears were starting to get on top in the first half and in the final clear chance of the first half – and arguably the best chance of the half – Grace Fullerton found herself through on goal with only the goalkeeper to beat, but a heavy final touch allowed the goalkeeper to charge out and close down the shot.

The sides went into the break locked at 0-0.

The Honeybears started the brighter of the two sides in the second half, however it was Laidley to threaten first after winning a penalty when goalkeeper Justeen Kruger came out to clear the ball and collected a Laidley player who had managed to get to the ball first.

The resulting penalty was very poor and allowed Kruger to atone for her slightly mistimed challenge.

This sparked the Honeybears into life. After a slight change in personnel, Rachael Dennison found herself through on goal and her shot went under the despairing goalkeeper to put the Honeybears ahead.

The Honeybears started to get back on top and should have made it 2-0 when Fullerton again found herself through on goal, but fired her shot narrowly past the post.

However, the Honeybears did make it 2-0 shortly after when Preim finished from close range.

Dennison and Preim had further chances to make it a more convincing win but were unable to capitalise.

The Honeybears won the game 2-0.

“It wasn’t very pretty today but we managed to get the result, which is what matters,” coach Tim Taylor said.

“The standout for me today was Elouise Stanford. She worked tirelessly in the middle of the park, throwing herself in front of just about everything that was directed at our goal.”

The Honeybears will have this weekend off before facing Rockville.