ON THE BALL: Justeen Kruger in action for the Honeybears.
ON THE BALL: Justeen Kruger in action for the Honeybears. Contributed

Honeybears beat out St Albans again

THE Chinchilla Honeybears took on St Albans in Toowoomba on Sunday.

The Honeybears came out of the blocks firing, taking just two minutes to open the scoring.

Imogene Forrest was played through by a lovely ball from Sally Carroll and made no mistake, sliding in to put the Honeybears ahead.

The Honeybears continued the early pressure but had to wait until the 22nd minute before making it 2-0 when Sally Carroll found space and drilled her shot into the back of the St Albans net.

The Honeybears nearly made it 3-0 when Imogene Forrest burst down the right-hand side to swing a ball across, but the on rushing Drue Hope was unable to supply the finishing touch at the far post.

Claire Valler was next to try her luck from the edge of the area, but watched her shot fly just wide of the goal.

The sides went in at half-time with the Honeybears up 2-0.

The Honeybears came out firing in the second half after a shot from Drue Hope was parried into the path of Sally Carroll, but Carroll was unable to keep her shot down.

St Albans were trying to create chances and with the Honeybears caught with too many players forward, it took some great covering defence from Rachel De Jonge who did just enough to put off the St Albans striker who blazed wide.

That only seemed to spark the Honeybears into life and they made it 3-0 on the hour mark after some neat interplay on the edge of the St Albans penalty area.

Elaina Riebe found herself unmarked and through on goal and made no mistake.

The Honeybears nearly made it 4-0 after some tremendous play from Kim Priem down the left-hand side.

She drilled the ball across the face of goal but the on-rushing Tegan Cann was unable to find the back of the net at the far post.

Cann was again denied shortly after when her goal bound shot was deflected, only to rebound of the post and get cleared to safety.

Claire Valler was next to threaten again trying her luck from long range and her right foot belter whistled just over the St Albans crossbar.

That was the last notable chance of the match, with the Honeybears winning 3-0.

"We knew if we wanted to keep the pressure on the teams above us we had to win today and we got the job done,” Honeybears coach Tim Taylor said.

"I feel at times we played some tremendous football.

"We were trying to do the right things but our final pass was just a little off today.

"On another day if those passes stuck we could have scored plenty more.

"The positive for me is it was another well organised display defensively and we know we always have goals in us.

"The standout for me today was young Tegan Cann. It was only her third game for the Honeybears but she is starting to show what she is capable of.”

The Honeybears next game is against first place Rockville in Toowoomba on Sunday.

"It's going to be tough next week. We are going to be missing a lot of players next week but the beauty of this squad is that no matter who is away we have a team capable of beating anybody,” Taylor said.

"It makes team selection extremely difficult at times but it's great to have so many options.”